Speaking Out Faithfully for Our Common Home
Our Maryland communities of faith and spirit have a powerful opportunity to speak out for our neighbors and our common home in Annapolis in the 2022 legislative session, which will run from January to April. Learn how your community can advocate for legislation that promotes clean air, clean water, and environmental justice. Participants will hear from issue experts about priority legislation, why it’s important for Maryland, and how, as people of faith, we can be advocates from a moral and religious perspective.
We'll discuss legislation that seeks:
• To codify our right to a healthy environment in the state constitution (Environmental Human Rights Amendment)
• To protect our climate through healthful buildings, transportation, and more (Maryland's Climate Package)
• To preserve 30% of Maryland’s land and water by 2030 (30 x 30 Conservation Act)
We are delighted to announce our Keynote speaker will be Staci Hartwell, Energy Consultant, Environmental Justice & Climate Committee Co-Chair, MD NAACP.
2pm Welcome: Robin Lewis, Director for Climate Equity, Interfaith Power & Light
Opening Prayer: Liv Kaur, a youth leader with EcoSikh
2:30 Keynote Speaker: Staci Hartwell, Energy Consultant, Co-Chair Environmental Justice & Climate Committee, MD NAACP
2:45 Speakers on the following legislation:
- Rabbi Nina Beth Cardin, MD Campaign for Environmental Human Rights Amendment
- Reed Perry, Chesapeake Conservancy, 30 X 30 Conservation Act
- Jonathan Lacock-Nisly, Interfaith Power & Light, MD Climate Package
3:05 Breakout rooms (you choose!) for deep dive into one of the above legislative issues
3:25-3:30 Next Steps & Closing Prayer
Looking for other ways to get involved? A week later, Maryland Sierra Club invites everyone to join them in raising our voices for these three bills as participants in their online lobby night, on Monday evening, February 7th (training beforehand on Thursday evening February 3rd.)
*By registering, you understand that you are opting into communications from Interfaith Partners for the Chesapeake, Interfaith Power & Light DMV, Maryland Campaign for Environmental Human Rights, and Earth Forum of Howard County.
Do you like this page?