If you are interested in submitting your name for consideration on our Board, please click here.
Albert Todd, Chair
• Former Executive Director of the Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay
• Former Chesapeake Bay Team Leader, USDA Office of Environmental Markets
• Former Director of Ecosystem Services in Cooperative Forestry and former Watershed Program Leader, both at the US Forest Service
• Chair of the Board, Annapolis Green
• Member, St. Margaret’s Episcopal Church in Annapolis
Jeanne McCann, Vice-Chair
• Principal, Jeanne McCann Communications LLC
• Former Vice-President of Digital Strategies for The Hatcher Group
• Expert communications professional with a background in environmental, social justice and mental health issues, digital and traditional media to enact social change, and online public awareness campaigns.
• Oversees digital strategic planning and development for a wide variety of nonprofits and foundations
• Served as Executive Producer of EdWeek.org for 12 years before joining The Hatcher Group in 2010
• Former Chair of the Environment Committee at St. Columba’s Episcopal Church in Washington, DC
• Former St. Columba’s Publicity Chair for Environmental Film Festival in the Nation’s Capital
Tonya Nashay Sanders, MA, PhD, AICP, Treasurer, Chair of Finance Committee
• Associate Professor in City and Regional Planning at Morgan State University. Her overall research examines community revitalization through the venue of faith-based organizations.
• Leads the Anchors Institution group for Community Development Network of Maryland—Baltimore City Committee
• Immediate past president of the Extension Advisory Board, Inc. for the University of Maryland Extension—Baltimore City.
• Steering Committee for the Morgan Community Mile, a university-community partnership to improve Northeast Baltimore
• She earned her doctorate in Urban Planning and Policy from the University of Illinois at Chicago, a master’s degree in Community Psychology and Social Change from the Pennsylvania State University, and a bachelor’s degree in Psychology from Truman State University.
• Member of the American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP)
• Member of New Psalmist Baptist Church, Baltimore
Bill Bierbower, Secretary, Chair of Governance Committee
• Bill serves as Chief Counsel for a federal research agency, advising the director of the agency on high-risk energy technology research
• Previously Bill served as the principal legal adviser to the director of the NASA Marshall Space Flight Center
• He also serves as trustee for the Alexander and Margaret Stewart Trust, a private foundation supporting children's health and cancer research
• Member Bay Area Community Church, Annapolis
Ray Heil, Chair of Development Committee, Serves on Finance Committee
• Senior Landscape Architect for SP Arch, Inc., member of Executive Committee of the Green Towson Alliance and of the steering committee of the Baltimore County Green Alliance
• Former landscape architect for Baltimore County DPW and Office of Community Conservation (1996-2013) working on revitalization of older county communities encircling Baltimore City
• Board President of Herring Run Watershed Association during merger to form Blue Water Baltimore (2008-10)
• Board Secretary of Blue Water Baltimore (2010-2016)
• Board Secretary for SS. James and John Catholic School, Baltimore City
• Active in multiple ministries at St. Vincent de Paul Catholic Church, Baltimore City
Ayanna Miranda, Chair of Program Committee
• Regulatory and Compliance Engineer for the Maryland Department of the Environment
• Previously worked as an Environmental Engineer for the Missouri Department of Natural Resources
• Served on the Advisory Board of the Baltimore Food and Faith Project at the Johns Hopkins Center for a Livable Future, and currently is Secretary of the Westview Park Improvement and Civic Association
• Basketball Coach and former Coordinator of the Muslim Athletic Program of the Islamic Society of Baltimore
• Attends worship services at the Islamic Society of Baltimore
Phillip Chalker, Chair of Advocacy Committee
• Prior to law school, Phillip advocated on behalf of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS). He later graduated from the University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law.
• He currently runs his own practice in Baltimore, specializing in environmental law
• Phillip also serves on the Baltimore Jewish Council where he spearheads a leadership development program for young Jewish professionals
McKay Jenkins, Ph.D., Advocacy Committee,Program Committee
• Cornelius Tilghman Professor of English, Journalism and Environmental Humanities at the University of Delaware, where he has won the Excellence in Teaching Award
• Author for 30 years, including ContamiNation (Avery, 2016), Poison Spring (Bloomsbury, 2014), Food Fight: GMOs and the Future of the American Diet (Avery, January 2017), Bloody Falls of the Coppermine (Random House, 2005), and several others dating back to the 1990s.
• Former staff writer for the Atlanta Constitution
• Has contributed to Outside, Orion, The New Republic, and other publications
• Affiliated, Brown Memorial Presbyterian Church in Baltimore
Laura Cattell Noll, Governance Committee, Program Committee
• Coordinates the Local Leadership Workgroup for Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay, bringing extensive experience managing and implementing community-based watershed restoration and stewardship projects across the Chesapeake Bay Watershed
• Previously managed the Trash Free Potomac Watershed Initiative for the Alice Ferguson Foundation in Washington DC
• Previously served as Conservation Project Manager at he National Aquarium
• Laura grew up attending Frazer Mennonite Church in Malvern, PA. Laura recently relocated to Lancaster, PA from Washington, DC and is in the process of locating a new faith congregation there.
Laurie-Anne Sayles, Governance Committee, Development Committee
• Elected in 2017 as the first African American Councilperson for the Gaithersburg City Council. Currently serves in this capacity while managing her own event planning company.
• Previously served as Communications Coordinator for The Nature Conservancy, and in the public health arena for the National Institutes of Health coordinating communications for clinical trials
• Recently elected by her peers as the incoming At-Large member of the NLC Board of Directors, and incoming Vice Chair of the Chesapeake Bay & Water Resources Policy Committee of the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments
• Immediate past Chair of the National League of Cities (NLC) Community and Economic Development Federal Advocacy Committee
• Political Action Chair for the Black Ministers Conference of Montgomery County
• In 2018, Councilmember Sayles was honored as one of The Daily Record’s Top 100 Women in Maryland
• Long-time member of Mt. Calvary Baptist Church in Rockville, MD