Speaking Out Faithfully for Our Common Home
Debrief of 2023 Legislative Briefing
Maryland communities of faith and spirit have spoken out for our neighbors and our common home throughout the 2023 legislative session, which ran from January to April. Join us to review the Bills that Interfaith Partners for the Chesapeake and Interfaith Power and Light DMV supported this legislative season, the progress they've made moving through the Maryland legislature, and lessons learned. Let's get inspired and geared up for the next legislative session!
- Maryland the Beautiful Act (HB 631/SB 470) - To preserve 30% of Maryland’s land and water by 2030.
- Greenspace Equity Program (HB 503/SB 923) - Helps foster greenspace in all communities.
- Strengthening EmPOWER (which ultimately advanced as HB 1035) - To ease the transition from gas appliances to electric, particularly in low-income homes, and reduce greenhouse gasses.
- Community Solar (HB 908/SB 613) - Make the Community Solar Pilot Program permanent, bringing accessible solar power to Marylanders and signaling Maryland's commitment to solar power.
- Promoting Offshore Wind Energy Act (HB 793/SB 781) - Sets a goal of 8.5 gigawatts of offshore wind energy generated by 2035 and allows Maryland to be competitive in securing offshore wind energy generation
Meet our speakers:
Delegate Dana Stein is the Vice-Chair of the House Environment and Transportation Committee and represents Baltimore County's District 11B. Delegate Stein sponsored the Maryland the Beautiful Act and Greenspace Equity Program during the 2023 legislative session.
With gratitude to our grassroots partners:
BWCUMC Creation Care Advocacy & Action
Chesapeake Earth Holders Community of Engaged Buddhism
Climate Shura DMV
Delaware-Maryland Creation Care Ministry Team (ELCA)
Episcopal Diocese of Maryland
Episcopal Diocese of Washington Creation Care Task Force
Green The Church DMV
Jewish Climate Action Network DMV
Jewish Youth Climate Movement Beth El/Chizuk Amuno Kvutzah
Justice & Witness Action Network (Central Atlantic Conference, United Church of Christ)
Maryland Catholics for Our Common Home
National Capital Presbytery Earth Care Network
Unitarian Universalist Legislative Ministry of Maryland
*By registering, you understand that you are opting into communications from Interfaith Partners for the Chesapeake and Interfaith Power & Light DMV.
Please ensure that you have downloaded or updated to the most current version of Zoom before this event.
Hope to see you there!
Do you like this page?