Toolkit for Faithful Stewards: Making the Most of Watershed Projects to Raise Awareness and Build Momentum
"A Day around the Bay" activity for understanding sources of water pollution
Tool Kit: "Stewards of the Bay"
In conjunction with the National Council of Churches we developed a toolkit for churches. This toolkit contains a variety of resources to help you get started. Stewards of the Bay: A Toolkit for Congregations in the Chesapeake Bay Watershed.
Resources for Worship
Prayer Card from IPC - prayer on one side and action steps on the other
GreenFaith provides excellent resources for faith communities, including this guide to "green worship."
Earthcare online list of relevant Bible verses.
Resources for Bible Study & Reflection
Scientific and Spiritual Dimensions of Climate Change (2/2016 - Link Broken)
Stewardship of the Earth : Keynote Address from the Chesapeake Covenant Community-Chester Valley Ministers Association gathering, May 12, 2011, by Roderick Miller
TEND AND KEEP: A reflection on creation, with beautiful paintings
FOLLOW THIS LINK TO DOWNLOAD: http://vimeo.com/67515529
WHY WE NEED TO CLEAN UP THE CHESAPEAKE BAY A short, dynamic clip from the Chesapeake Bay Foundation
CONGREGATIONS REDUCE POLLUTED RUNOFF: a video from Clean Water Coalition
Congregational Covenants, Commitments and Minutes
Many congregations have chosen to express their commitment to loving and caring for creation by adopting a declaration, variously described as a "covenant," a "pledge" or a "minute." We provide links to some of those here.
Landscaping Around Your House of Worship : A helpful guide from the Ecological Landscaping Association.
Composting for Congregations : An updated guide for composting at your house of worship or at home
Earth-friendly Lawn Care for congregations : A practical guide
FOR EARTH DAY
- Christian education resources, including a study guide that includes themes such as: how we learn from creatures, ecosystem services, theological explorations of the concept of "dominion," short videos, and news clips.
- Liturgical resources to plan a Blessing of the Animals or a creature-themed worship service, including hymn ideas and sermon starters.
- Action resources to engage in citizen science, build a bat house, plant a pollinator garden, protect the ecosystem of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, and advocate to protect the Endangered Species Act.
Water, Holy Water from Creation Justice Ministries. A resource for worship, reflection, study and action on caring for water, our most sacred resource. This year's Earth Day resource explores water as a gift from God that is beingthreatened by overuse and pollution. Included are sermon starters, worship resources, and a bulletin insert. Note: Use the following links to download denominational versions of the resource adapted for the Episcopal Church, Presbyterian Church (USA), United Church of Christ, and United Methodist Church
Earth Day Liturgy from the Anglican Church of Canada.
Greening of the Cross A joint worship service of the congregations of Capitol Drive, Divine Word, Good Shepherd and Pentecost Lutheran Churches. Sunday, April 26, 1998, Capitol Drive Lutheran Church, 5229 W. Capitol Drive , Milwaukee, WI 53216
Worship in Celebration of Creation (McCormick Theological Seminary) A complete service in recognition of Earth Day.
On April 21, 2013, the congregation of United in Christ Lutheran in rural Lewisburg, PA, held a service with hymns, readings, prayers and preaching focusing on the beauty and sanctity of God’s created Earth, as well as our responsibility for being good caretakers of God’s gifts. Here is the sermon for the day: Falling off the Bike. In preparation for the service, the Confirmation students spent several class sessions creating three “trees”: Creation, Eco-crucifixion, and Eco-Resurrection. The project was part of their unit on the Apostle’s Creed, focusing on God as Creator (a collage of images of Creation); Earth as being “crucified” (a collage of images of environmental devastation); and humans working with the Holy Spirit to restore and heal Earth (images of renewable energy, restoration projects, children planting gardens, etc.).
While many of the following Earth Day resources are listed on Catholic websites, their language is not exclusively Christian.
- A beautiful Video Reflection and companion piece for the video, a Prayer of Intercession, should a group want to pray together in conjunction with the video.
- Poems, Prayers and additional reflections:
- Lenten Carbon Fast 2015 from Interfaith Power & Light of DC, MD, and N. VA
- Lent 2014 daily calendar from the Environmental Ministries and Enough for Everyone programs of the Presbyterian Hunger Program
Caring for Creation Calendar from the Catholic Archdiocese of Washington
- 2015 Lenten Fast for Climate Change from Catholic Climate Covenant
- Lent 4.5 is a seven-week faith formation program on Christian Simplicity