Trees for Sacred Places
Congregations are planting Trees and Hope!
So far people of faith have planted over 13,000 trees! By planting trees, over 100 faith owned properties including congregational grounds, retreat centers, summer camps and retirement communities are contributing to watershed restoration, community beauty, and care of God's Creation.
Click to view a video about the Trees for Sacred Places program and see how spiritual leaders in Prince George's County are teaching their congregants the value of leaving a legacy of love and restoration by planting native trees.
Trees for Sacred Places has been a partnership between Interfaith Partners for the Chesapeake (IPC) and the Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay.
This program was funded with generous support from the Maryland’s Department of Natural Resources and Chesapeake Bay Trust.
Are You a “Green Leader” in your house of worship?
This fall, IPC will be offering 2 training workshops for houses of worship in Howard County and the Eastern Shore. Congregational “Green Leaders” will learn more about the spiritual foundation of earth stewardship, the environmental benefit of trees, and how to plant and maintain them. Participants will also receive training on how to deliver similar workshops for their own community members.
To sign up and participate contact Bonnie Sorak, Outreach Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 443-799-0349.
Are you in DC and looking to Plant some Trees?
Check out Casey Trees for information on how to get involved with improving DC's tree canopy trees
CONGRATULATIONS to these congregations, schools, retreat centers and camps which have completed their
Tree Planting Day for total of nearly 14,000 trees:
READ THEIR STORIES: Testimonials from Trees for Sacred Places sites
Holy Communion Lutheran Church planting 91 trees
~photo by Dave Warren Alliance for Chesapeake Bay
- All Saints Lutheran in Bowie
- Am Kolel Sanctuary Retreat Center in Beallsville
- Annapolis Friends Meeting
- Baltimore Hebrew Congregation
- Baltimore Hebrew Congregation
- Baltimore Sikh Society
- Benedictine School in Ridgely
- Benedictine Sisters of Baltimore Emmanuel Monastery in Lutherville
- Bnos Yisroel Girls School Yeshiva in Baltimore
- Camp Gan Israel in Columbia
- Camp Wabanna in Edgewater
- Carolina Missionary Baptist Church in Ft. Washington
- Catonsville Presbyterian
- Chizuk Amuno Congregation in Baltimore
- Christ Episcopal Church in West River
- Christ the King Episcopal Church in Woodlawn
- Colesville Presbyterian Church
- Covenant United Methodist Church in Montgomery Village
- Epiphany Episcopal Church in Timonium
- Fairhaven United Methodist Church in Gaithersburg
- Faith Presbyterian Church in Baltimore
- Friendship United Methodist Church
- Gallery Church in Baltimore
- Geneva Presbyterian in Potomac
- Holy Communion Lutheran Church in Fallston
- Holy Family Catholic Church in Davidsonville
- Manidokan United Methodist Camp in Knoxville
- Mar-Lu-Ridge in Jefferson
- Mt. Olive Baptist Church in Baltimore
- Oakland Mills Interfaith Center in Columbia
- Pecometh Camp & Retreat Ministries in Centreville
- Pleasant View Church in Gaithersburg
- Rockbridge Christian Academy in Millersville
- Saints Philip & James Catholic parish in Baltimore
- Salem Lutheran Church in Jarrettsville
- Shaare Tifila in Olney
- Shaare Torah Congregation in Gaithersburg
- Silver Spring Presbyterian Church
- St. Alban's Episcopal Church in Salisbury
- St. Andrew by the Bay Catholic Church in Annapolis
- St. Andrew's United Methodist School in Edgewater
- St. Bartholomew's Episcopal Church in Baltimore
- St. Bernadette Catholic Church in Severn
- St. James Episcopal Academy in Monkton
- St. Margaret’s Episcopal in Annapolis
- St. Mary Anne's Episcopal Church in North East
- St. Matthews Catholic Parish in Baltimore
- St. Rose of Lima Catholic Church in Gaithersburg
- St. Thomas Episcopal Church in Marlboro
- Temple Emanuel of Baltimore
- Temple Isaiah in Fulton
- Temple Shalom in Chevy Chase
- The Claggett Center in Adamstown
- The Pearlstone Center in Reisterstown
- Towson Unitarian Universalist Church
- Trinity United Methodist Church in Germantown
- Union Baptist Church in Baltimore
- Washington Adventist University and Hospital in Takoma Park
- Watersedge Baptist in Dundalk
- West River United Methodist Camp
- Woodbrook Baptist in Baltimore
WHY PLANT TREES?
Heavy Downpours Bring... Runoff: An Even Greater Need for Trees
Read this reflection: A Climate for Runoff & Response by Trees for Sacred Places Program Manager, Kolya Braun-Greiner